The city of Zaporizhzhia is a regional center of the Zaporizhzhia province, one of the largest administrative, industrial and cultural centers of the south of Ukraine. Zaporizhzhia as a regional center has an influence on 14 cities, 23 urban-type settlements, many villages. As of April 1, 2017, its population was 749 thousand people, which is the sixth mark in Ukraine.
Zaporizhzhia is located on banks of the Dnieper river, with the Khortytsia island splitting it into two streams. The city's area is 331 square kilometers, and it is the fifth largest city in Ukraine. The city is divided into seven administrative districts: Oleksandrivskyi, Zavodskyi, Komunarskyi, Dniprovskyi, Voznesenivskyi, Khortytskyi, Shevchenkivskyi. The city comprises about 1300 avenues, streets, lanes, and squares. A visiting card of Zaporizhzhia is the main street of the city, Sobornyi Avenue, which stretches for 10.8 km through four districts of the city.
The modern city of Zaporizhzhia dates back to the founding of the Aleksandrovsk city, which is associated with the construction of a complex of fortresses, the new Dnieper Defense Line. The decree on its creation was signed by Catherine II in May 1770.
The construction of the Aleksandrovsk Fortress began in August 1770 on the banks of the Mokra Moskovka river, where fortress buildings and the city were laid.